San Bernardo station
Refurbishment Station Cadiz: market, parking and sports equipment, Seville
The last object of the intervention is to endow with new uses an existing infrastructure, the Station of San Bernardo, revitalizing the same and the surrounding area, putting in value a point with history in the city.
The demand for existing parking and which will foreseeably increase when the area is revitalized, makes it necessary to install an underground car park, which also meets the needs of the Puerta de la Carne Market. A total provision of parking for 100 vehicles is proposed.
It is proposed to revitalize the public space by means of an organization with clear elements and of sufficient entity, which seek to generate a recognizable image.
For the pedestrian accesses to the parking lot and kiosks, two boxes are proposed protected by an envelope of wooden slats and a large space protected from the sun is generated by a large pergola with a metal structure.
Given that the main attraction point of this new urban space is the Market of the Puerta de la Carne, a large fountain / sculpture in the shape of an M is proposed, which is likely to become a recognizable image of the Market. This would be centered in the new square, along with several sheets of water to cool the temperature in summer and garden beds are raised with native vegetation, looking for color differences, the planters are designed with a sufficient thickness to be susceptible to use as banks in all its perimeter.
Given that the disposition of the Market stalls has already been conveniently studied by the City Council, and the organization thereof is mandatory in the Bidding Conditions, the action focuses on proposing various improvements:
Independent Operation: When proposing the main access to the Sports Center disengaged from the Travelers Building, the only connection of the same with the Ground Floor of the Market occurs at the corner of the North Tower. As it is possible to locate the evacuation exit doors directly on the facade of the building, there will never be any operational interference between the two uses, and will facilitate the management of the same.
Visor: The sun protection visor concept is recovered from the west façade of the Travelers Building, allowing a meeting space next to it, the implementation of tables linked to market restoration areas, or a possible location of small stalls exterior sale. It is materialized by a light metal structure.
Spatial Treatment: Respecting the disposition of the stalls throughout the passenger building, it is sought to give a current and attractive image through the treatment of the interior space. In this way, a dark pavement is proposed, playing with the location of the existing steel pillars to give personality to this space. The stalls will be clad externally with compact wood-finished panels, the storage mezzanines forming large, abstract wooden boxes that seem to be suspended in space.
Facade: Given that the size and layout of the posts make it very difficult to take advantage of the existing gaps in the façade or generate visuals from inside the building, it is proposed to treat the external enclosure of the stalls as an abstract background with the inscription of the name of the market or the sports one, according to its location, that will characterize the facades to the Plaza and the Ship of Platform of the Building of Travelers.
The intervention in the Andenes Ship is proposed with a spatial strategy that seeks to enhance the perception of it. A proposal is proposed that seeks to recover the interior space of the Andenes area to make it as permeable as possible on the ground floor.
On the other hand, the volumetric needs derived from the needs program of a Sports Center are very important.
The architectural proposal is articulated according to these starting criteria:
- Parallel steps are generated to the façade of the Travelers Building and that of the Nave to Juan de Mata Carriazo Street, so that the incursion of pedestrians into the interior space of the ship is favored, allowing it to be a public covered space that you can go through Some closing element will be proposed to avoid at night the passage through the interior space of the ship, for clear security reasons.
- A container is projected that is born exempt from the basement and whose ground floor of treated glass allows us to glimpse the interior facade of the Building of Travelers from the street.
- The container on the upper floor is covered with tinted and reflecting glass to reflect the old Station, its facade to the platform area. The new building would dress its facade with the reflections of the old one.
- The container moves in a zigzag pattern through the nave, approaching and moving away from the facade of the original building, generating different perspectives, and distorting the reflections in its façade at these angles.
The distribution of the needs program of the Sports Center is subordinated to strengthening these project objectives.
- Basement floor mainly of facilities, although it houses the group changing rooms, in a differentiated area.
- Pool and spa on the ground floor, next to areas of access, reception, administration ..
- First Floor: Changing rooms. The most private part of the Sports Center, less visible from the outside, enjoys the view of the facade of the old building.
- Second floor: Fitness room: On the large container and under an extra clear glass enclosure. It will be the most continuous activity space of the Center. A large transparent diaphanous space in its perimeter and punctually in its cover, intends to turn inside the nave and the vacuum generated between the two buildings.
- Multiple Use Rooms: On the first floor of the Travelers Building, above the Market. They communicate with the main building through two walkways that will generate a flow of people crossing the interior space of the ship at about 7 meters high. These rooms will take advantage of the space of the turrets, with their gaps and their original spatial configuration.
From an energetic point of view, the saving that occurs when taking advantage of an existing envelope is noteworthy, given that the thermal load on the new façade in summer is considerably reduced. Air flows are generated around the entire new volume, and are susceptible to use for natural air renewals.
Client: Enjoy Wellness
Construction company: Otero
Surface: 10434 m2